What is an ECHO?
Echocardiography is a test that uses sound waves to produce live images of your heart. This test allows your doctor to monitor how your heart and its valves are functioning.
What are the types of ECHO?
There are different types of ECHO’s that the Doctor can order-
- This looks at the heart form outside of the chest.
- A sonographer spreads gel on the device and presses the device firmly against your skin, aiming the u/sound beam through your chest to your heart.
If your doctor wants more detailed images or its difficult to get clear images with Transthoracic ECHO.
In this procedure:
- Your throat will be numbed, and you will be given medications to help you relax.
- A flexible tube will be inserted into your throat and into your oesophagus (tube from mouth to stomach).
- Images of your heart are taken from this position.
You will need to fast prior to this test.
U/sound images are taken before and immediately after you walk on a treadmill.
- Please wear comfortable clothing and sport shoes for this test.
- Please advise if you are unable to walk or exercise.
Speak to our Doctors at Newcastle heart about treatment options that may benefit you.